Technology wasn’t meant to bond us to our devices, but rather to (at least theoretically) simplify our lives and free our time up for higher pursuits. Here are some FREE must-have apps that help you live a simpler and more efficient life!
- Hopper Predicts flight prices and lets you know when the best time to buy is or if you should wait. You can also set up alerts.
- Tripit Organizes your travel plans in one place. Finds alternative flights. Sends real-time alerts. When you buy tickets, info is sent to the app, and you can use it to check into your flight instead of printing tickets. It goes beyond flights and saves all other info such as hotels, itineraries and car rentals.
- Mint With a desktop app and a phone app, keeping your finances in check has never been easier. You can link all of your accounts, from savings, to investments. It keeps track of your credit score, you can create budgets, get bill reminders, financial advice, set saving goals and categorize all your purchases.
- Splitwise is perfect if you live with roommates. You can use it via desktop or on your phone, and keep track and split expenses. Best part is that it sends email reminders so you won’t have to be a nag!
- Tip N Split ahhh the dreaded moment when the bill comes and someone is stuck doing the math. This app allows you to enter the bill amount, how much you want to tip and IF you are splitting it, you can enter amongst how many people.
- Venmo If both people have it, you can send each-other money for free and request payments as well. Way better than Western Union . Let’s say your friend buys two concert tickets, you can pay them immediately, rather than wait until you see them.
- Sleep Calculator Have you ever wondered why you sometimes wake up tired even though you had a full night sleep? It is because you interrupted a REM Cycle which usually lasts 90 minutes. This app allows you to set up a wake up time that won’t interrupt your sleep cycles allowing you to wake up refreshed. You can use it by entering the time you want to wake up (it will tell you times when you should go to bed and even factors in the average time it takes you to fall asleep), or the time you want to go to sleep and even has an option for a power nap.
- Twilight This app has SERIOUSLY helped my sleep. Are you having trouble falling asleep or on your phone in bed and late at night. Exposure to blue light before sleep may distort your natural (circadian) rhythm and cause inability to fall asleep.The Twilight app makes your device screen adapt to the time of the day. It filters the flux of blue light emitted by your phone or tablet after sunset and protects your eyes with a soft and pleasant red filter. The filter intensity is smoothly adjusted to the sun cycle based on your local sunset and sunrise times.
- M.Calendar Tracks your period, tells you when you ovulate, your next period is and you can keep track of your symptoms. No more surprises on vacation, or not knowing the answer when your doctor asks!
- Sworkit Personalized video work outs. Chose from Strength, cardio, yoga and stretching. You can chose area of the body to focus on and the length of your work out.
- MyFitness Pal Track your food intake (gets real detailed right down to micronutrients if you are into that stuff), calories spent, work outs and basically anything fitness related. Also tracks your path as you run, or bike and is compatible with other witness apps.
- Meditation Helper a nice relaxing gong to help your self guided meditation.
- Duolingo Learn Spanish, French and other languages for free! The games are fun and can be played anywhere.
- Evernote My brain RUNS on Evernote. You can do photo notes, attachments, shopping lists, work charts, reminders, hand written notes and so much more.
- Mindly Your brain is a boundless, endless and sometimes confusing ground for ideas and creativity. Mindy is a mind mapping tool that is wonderful for us visual learners. It helps to organize your inner universe. Give a structure to your thoughts, capture ideas, plan a speech, take notes
- My Dressing LOVE love love this app. You can take a picture of an item of clothing, add brand, cost when you bought it (if you want) and actually build an outfit right on there and save it. Great for when you are shopping and you are wondering what a new addition would go with or if you are pre planning an outfit.
- Daily Bible It has daily verses (love waking up to them), recommended readings and wonderful audio devotionals.