This recipe is all about the spices- delicious and a little sweet.
Wonderful on top of arugula with goat cheese. High in protein and diet friendly. Enjoy!
- 8 ounces dry lentils
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2tablespoon maple syrup
- 1⁄2tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 red onion, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup dried cranberries or 1⁄2 cup raisins or 1⁄2 cup dried currant
- Rinse lentils well, drain. Place in a pot and cover with a 3-4 inches of water, bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Check lentils for doneness after 10 minutes, but they should take about 15 minutes in total. You will know they are cooked if they still retain a slight tooth – al dente! (Overcooking the lentils is the death of this dish) Drain & rinse the lentils under cold water and set aside.
- In a small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together the olive, vinegar, maple syrup, mustard and all the spices (salt through cinnamon).
- In a large serving bowl, gently combine the lentils and dressing. Add the onions, cranberries and capers and stir to combine well. If using other add-ins such as herbs, greens, or cheese, wait to add until just before serving. Otherwise, this salad can hang out in the fridge for as long as a couple days!