I am a pesceterian (go head google it ;)) and do not eat chicken, but like to include some form if protein in all my meals. For this recipe, I used Quorn Meatless Chicken Tenders, but any meat substitute will do. This makes 4 portions.
- 1 large eggplant
- Olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 1 cup diced chicken or veggie “chicken”
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 large tomato
- Whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs 1.5 cups
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Remove the leaves from the eggplants, and slice in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the centers of the eggplants, leaving a half-inch shell so they resemble ‘canoes’. Cut the center portion into small pieces, and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic, and saute for a few minutes, until tender. Add the eggplant pieces and “chicken”, and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Then, stir in the tomato and parsley. Simmer for about 10 minutes. Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat, and transfer to a large bowl. Stir in the bread crumbs until evenly blended. Divide the mixture evenly between the four eggplant shells. Sprinkle feta cheese over the top. Place the eggplant halves on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are browned and the cheese is melted.
Inspired by: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Summer-Nights-Eggplants/?prop24=hn_slide1_Eggplant-for-Picky-Eaters&evt19=1